2022 BOC STEM Talent Challenge
|Centre for Science & Engineering Promotion, University of Macau
|Alumni and Development Office, University of Macau
|Bank of China
The 2022 BOC STEM Talent Challenge is jointly hosted by UM’s Centre for Science and Engineering Promotion and Alumni Development Office and sponsored by the Bank of China. This competition is designed and organized for science-loving students and enhances local secondary students’ talents in STEM innovation and creativity, especially in the field of local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
This competition focuses on the technology field and encourages students to integrate with the characteristics and development of Macao SMEs that present original and excellent technical solutions and innovations. It is not only limited to the functions of smart services but also develops a module of smart products etc., that is linked with the substantial needs of the local market to facilitate the development of SMEs in Macao.
III. Competition Guideline
- All Macao students from F2 to F6 during the academic year of 2022/202 are eligible for application;
- The applicant could take part as an individual or a group with no more than 3 students;
- All the works must be original;
- Materials Submission:
- Online application form;
- Abstract in Chinese or English (in one A4 paper in pdf format with a file size no larger than 2MB);
- Technical solution proposal including physical model production (within four pages of A4 paper in pdf format with a file size no larger than 10MB).
- Video with no longer than 3 minutes and presented by students. (the video link can be viewed in both national and foreign regions)
- The applicant can submit the application via online platform (umstem.um.edu.mo) from 10 February 2023 to 10 March 2023 12nn.
IV. Selection Criteria and Awards
- The committee would conduct a qualification review accordingly to the criteria. Only the complete and qualified applications will be evaluated.
- Selection Criteria
- Self-selected topic: topic must be proposed, selected or discovered by the students;
- Self-design and research: the design must be conceived and produced by the students;
- Report and production should be completed by students’ own effort;
- Innovation: refer to the ways for improvement, analysis, and use of data, new design of equipment or tools usage, study and solving technology problem in various aspects;
- Scientific nature: refers to the scientific and technological significance of the project. It should be rational, accurate, and reliable to scientific theories;
- Practicability: refer to the project that is capable of being put into practice or of being done or accomplished in local SMEs;
- The practical scenario of local SMEs: refers to the way of improving the development of SMEs; feasibility of relevant application scenarios;
- The project has not been used for applying any competition in domestic as well as national and international competitions within the period of June 2021 to June 2023.
- The awarded projects that fit the SME’s practical scenario would be potentially selected for joining the University team and provided professional guidance and training for further project development, and recommended to participate in the national and international STEM competitions.
- The committee will select one for the first prize, one for the second prize, and eight for the third prize. The cash prizes are MOP 8,000, MOP 5,000, and MOP 3,000 respectively.
- This competition is included in the “Preferential Admission Scheme” for Admission Examination candidates. Awardees may receive a bonus of 20 to 50 marks added to the results of the Admission Examination. (Details)
<Link for Application and Submission>
The link is valid from 10 February to 10 March 2023 12nn.
Inquiry: Centre for Science and Engineering Promotion of UM, Miss Tai, tel: 88224503, email: email@example.com